Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Attic: A Museum Studies Research Blog

After taking a second look at my chosen list of blogs, I've realized that several of them are not updated on a regular basis. Public History: digital history on a budget, which I discussed in the previous post, provided the links to several good sites, so I've added a few of them to my list.

The Attic is one blog from my original list that does stay pretty current. This is probably because, unlike others I've written about, this blog is a group effort, in this case, one by the Department of Museum Studies' research students at the University of Leicester. In addition, contributions from any student of museum studies are welcomed.

It's obvious from just a quick look that The Attic is for the academic community. Every other post is an announcement for a conference or symposium. I particularly liked their coverage of the university's Research Seminar Programme and the Museum Crawl, both which provide something the other blogs have not: lots of photographs! Like Bryan Andrachuk and Suzanne Fischer, the contributors are strong advocates for museums and public history and they try to rally support for various causes they find worthy.

For the most part, The Attic writes about and relies upon the information found on other museum or academic websites and blogs. Occasionally, they will discuss stories that are being covered by the mainstream media, like the BBC or The Guardian. In neither situation do I see much criticism or commentary on the sources themselves. The Attic has a few blogs in common with Public History, but most of them I've encountered here for the first time.

I hope to find the time to look over all of these great resources in greater depth.

1 comment:

The Attic said...

Many thanks for noticing and writing about The Attic. Hope you find it useful! Good luck with your new blog.